5 Tell-Tale Signs You Need a New Roof
Brian Elder Roofing, Memphis, TN
As a homeowner, issues with your roof can be an enormous headache. Yet, if you make sure to consistently check for the following signs, the need for a complete roof replacement can be postponed a little longer. However, if you bury your head in the sand and wait until there is a big problem, it can make the issue and its solution more costly and complicated. Here are five surefire signs you need a new roof:
- Leaks- You would be surprised how many people ignore leaks. Most people know that a big leak should be resolved right away, but the little leaks are also signs that your roof is ready for repair or replacement. Small leaks, which do not do much damage, are too often ignored. However, the leaks will continue to grow and eventually demand your attention. Water exposure is a serious red flag. If you are noticing any of the following, you need to sit up and take notice:
- Water stains on ceilings
- Dripping sound
- Mold growth
- Humid air indoors
- Musty smell
- Conflicting Shingle Color– If your roof is healthy and strong, it will have a fluent color across its surface. However, once it starts to age, the shingles will have blotchy colors. Check your roof for inconsistency by looking at the uniformity of its color. The presence of drastic color change on your roof is indicative of a roof nearing the end of its life span.
- Curling or Missing Shingles- As shingles age they deteriorate. For wood and asphalt shingles the most common sign they have reached the end of their life is when the edges of the shingles are curling. If you see this happening to more than a few shingles, you will need a new roof soon. When a few shingles are missing, it is likely that the other present shingles are also aging and not in the best shape either.
- Debris in Your Gutters- Aging asphalt shingles start to shed embedded granules. When your roof is nearing the end of its lifespan, granules and pieces from the shingles will start to appear in the gutters. If you have many granules this is a sign you will need repair and replacement. This is one of the reasons cleaning your gutters is an important thing to do regularly.
- Age- This is not a visual clue, but it is one of the most important signs you need a new roof. Many roofs, especially in the mid-south, have wood or asphalt shingles. These shingles have a lifespan of several decades, so it is especially important you know how long they have been on your roof. Make sure to find out:
- Was the roof ever replaced before you bought the home?
- How many layers of shingles are on your roof?
- What is the ventilation like in your home?
If you do not know how old your roof is, you can check the property appraiser’s website to see if there was a permit pulled for a roof replacement and gauge it that way.
How Brian Elder Roofing Can Help
You need a roof over your head, so it is your home’s most important investment. At Brian Elder Roofing we use some of the toughest and strongest shingles on the market. This ensures you get the longest lifespan from your roof possible, if you make sure to call us for regular inspections. During the inspections we will make sure to check to see if you need shingle repair and for any roof damage. We have decades of experience and are experts in the field of roofing. Our crew is knowledgeable and will work with you to make sure you get the longest life out of your roof. Call us today to schedule free roofing inspections or to schedule a maintenance inspection at (901) 867-0303. We will help you keep on top of all your roofing needs.
5 tell-tale signs you need a new roof, Brian Elder, Brian Elder Roofing, Brian Elder Roofing Memphis, Brian Elder Roofing repairs, cheap roofs, new roof, new roof near me, new roofs near me, Roofing, roofing inspection Memphis, Roofing inspection near me, Roofing Inspections, roofing repairs Memphis, Roofing Repairs near me