Preventative Roofing Maintenance
Congratulations! You purchased a home! What now? It’s time to make a list of all of your home’s maintenance needs. At the top of your list should be preventative roofing maintenance. Think of it this way, you literally have to keep a roof over your head. In today’s real estate market, homes are often being sold without a roof inspection being required. If you purchased your home without an inspection, make sure you hire a professional to check your roof right away.
At your initial inspection your professional roofer will look for the following signs of damage:
- Missing, loose, or damaged shingles
- Bare spots on your roof
- Rust or holes in the flashing (The flashing is a thin piece of steel that roofers use to direct water away from critical areas on your roof, to prevent leaking)
- Cracked caulking near chimneys and edges
- Large areas of moss on tile or shingles
- Peeling paint on overhangs
To extend your roof’s lifespan and save money on future repairs here are some tips that should be added to your chore list:
- Clean your gutters. Your home’s gutters are an important function of your home. Gutter’s guide water off the roof protecting your home’s foundation and roof. They will need to be thoroughly cleaned at least twice a year. Your gutters could fill up with leaves and gravel causing water to rest on your roof. Water build-up on your roof will deteriorate your shingles or tiles. If you notice gravel. Call your professional roofers, this could be a sign that your shingles are rotting. This simple chore could cost thousands in repairs if ignored.
- Trim your Trees. Make sure to keep an eye on your trees. Leaves falling off tree branches landing on your home can build up before you notice. Remove debris off your roof promptly. The leaves trap moisture thus causing your roof to decay. Also, large branches falling on your house are the quickest way to damage your roof. Big problems are avoidable by just keeping an eye on your trees.
- Insulate your attic. Not only will attic insulation help with your utility bills, the proper amount of insulation in your attic protects your roof by keeping your rafters from over contraction and expansion. Also be sure to check that your insulation is never wet, as this a sign your roof could be leaking.
- Keep a lookout for indoor signs of roof damage. Water spots on the ceiling, cracks in the foundation, and sagging along beams could mean you have water damage from leaks in your roof.
- Schedule bi-annually with a roofing professional. Even though you had an initial inspection when you first moved in, you need to make sure you are consistently checking that you have no signs of damage as time goes by.
As long as you regularly keep up to date on your maintenance needs, home ownership will continue to be fulfilling. Brian Elders’ Roofing understands the needs of homeowners and is here to help with all your roofing needs. Brian Elder Roofing has over 10 years of experience in building and maintaining roofs. Give them a call at (901) 867-0303 today for a free estimate.
Brian Elder, Brian Elder Roofing, Brian Elder Roofing repairs, how to spot roof damage, residential roofing, roof damage, roof maintenance check list, roof manintenance, Roofing, roofing inspection Memphis, Roofing inspection near me, Roofing Inspections, roofing repairs Memphis, Roofing Repairs near me, roofing upkeep